The Mumbai Airport (MIAL) Rehabilitation project | A vital public project
- Largest Urban Rehabilitation Scheme in India
- No. of Hutments 85,000 approx.
- Vital Public Project
- Approved FSI of 4
- Airport Modernization & Expansion
- Provide World Class Infrastructure
- Generation of more than 10,000 jobs over next few years
Phase 1 of the project has already begun, with 85% of the work completed on a development in Kurla, intended to rehabilitate about 20,000 slum dwellers from Vile Parle, Santacruz and Sahar.
The first 16,000 tenements are scheduled to be allotted shortly. It is the first step in a vast project, aimed at eventually freeing 275 acres of encroached airport land for development.
The buildings are well placed and the residents will have access to a wide range of facilities that support the community:
- 250-bed hospital
- School for children
- Religious place of worship
- Community centre
- Solar energy for street lights
- Rainwater harvesting
- Electricity sub-stations
- Grey-water recycling plant